Friday, October 13, 2017

A Visit to Hoechstadt an der Aisch

Fall colors and a branch of the Aisch River 

A gorgeous autumn morning and I'm on the road again after a few days break at my apartment in Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Season is finished, 13 tours were successfully completed and it's Friday the 13th. It's time now to plant the seeds which will sprout during the 2018 season. 

I drove through light morning fog, typical for this time of the year, east on the back roads cutting across the landscape and through the pretty little towns of Reichelshofen, Neustadt an der Aisch and Ipsheim. Ipsheim has one of the best butcher shops in the region, and I figured if I timed it right I could stop there on my way home for one of their fantastic bratwurst. 

St Georg Catholic Church
 I'd left Rothenburg shortly after 8, and so I was already arriving at their town hall shortly before 10. I parked behind the town hall, which is in the center of the market place. I learned later that the building housing the town hall was burned during the 30-years war, but was then rebuilt in the later part of the 1600s. 

The Town Hall, at right, on the west side of the Market Square

Old well from the 14th century with a 1750s cupola





Main Street, with a couple of very old Fachwerke houses

A few days ago, I'd called the offices of the "Einwohnermeldeamt," or civil registrar, and had spoken with a Frau Stark about help finding old house #50. She was not that helpful. I got nowhere on the phone and so figured a personal approach might work better. As I entered the office, two women greeted me. The one on the left, the older one, was Frau Stark. I greeted her "Gruss Gott" (That's sort of like "Greetings from God," and is typical here in this part of Germany) and told her that we'd spoken a few days ago on the phone. I asked if the town had an archive, where I might find this information. She walked over to a fancy wall cabinet, obviously fire-proof, and within 60 seconds I knew that House #50 was now Gerbergasse 7, owned by a Frau Witt. Yes, less than 60 seconds. The personal approach worked after all. This data had been collected by the town historian some years ago, she told me. I asked if he was still alive. She told me that sadly, no, but there was another man who was in charge of the local history museum. I took his name and contact number: 

Sebastian Schmidt
09193-3462

The Castle, seems to not be in use for anything today. Perhaps a former prison?

An old well in the castle courtyard

 The "Heimatmuseum" is only open on certain weekends and holidays but I plan to call him well before your arrival to arrange a meeting and look at the museum. And, perhaps he might help find an old photo of Gerbergasse. 

The sun was breaking through the overcast. I walked around the compact village center and took these photos as a preview to what you will see during your visit in September, 2018. 

A pretty door on a baroque house

House from the middle of the 1600s

Door on the west side of St. Georg Church

St. Georg Catholic Church was built in the 1400s but modernized in 1730

Part of the town's fortifications, built in the 1400s

I also walked the length of "Gerbergasse," which means "dyers lane." The dye industry was big centuries ago. This process took water, and so it's no mystery that this lane is right next to a branch of the Aisch river. Little House #50 is a cute blue today, and is Gerbergasse 7. The owner, Frau Witt, was not at home. I plan to write to her prior to your visit. 

Gerbergasse and the medieval wall

Gerbergasse with House #50 (now Gerbergasse 7) at left, the blue house

Gerbergasse 7, former house 50 at left

Gerbergasse 7, former House #50, where your ancestors lived


I noticed that this house is built right into the medieval town wall. This means the house has to be very, very old. The wall dates back to the 1400s. 

House #50, today Gerbergasse 7, built right into the thick medieval stone wall of the town. Obviously a very old house.
 
With my mission accomplished in Hoechstadt, I drove 7 kilometers to the east to the neighboring hamlet of Adelsdorf, where we will be staying on the night of September 24. I'd made a reservation at the Landhotel Drei Kronen via Booking.com, but I wanted to see the place with my own eyes and if possible, cancel that Booking.com reservation and make it anew direct with the owner. I know these small hotels have to pay a healthy commission to Booking.com, and it's always a friendly gesture if you can save them this money. Once more, the personal approach worked to our benefit and I received an upgrade to our reservation. The hotel and its several different themed dining rooms will make a lovely and restful spot for your first night of your tour with European Focus. 

View down Obere Brauhausgasse towards Gerbergasse with a former brewery in the foreground


Autumn colors and part of the town wall on Dr-Haase-Gasse

Nice pictorial view of the town done by the local ceramics club

Pretty window at the end of Gerbergasse on Obere Brauhausgasse





All photos by James Derheim and European Focus
All rights reserved 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment